The Rotary Club of Bellerive

INFORMATION about BELLERIVE


Bellerive is a suburb of the City Of Clarence, part of the greater area of Hobart, the capital of the state of Tasmania and the second oldest city in Australia after Sydney.
Hobart is Australia's southern most capital city, and the fact that it is also the smallest (population 150,000) is a key to its particular charm. A riverside city with a busy harbour, its mountain backdrop offers fine views over compact suburbs below. Its beautiful Georgian buildings (even the harbour side warehouses are picturesque), relaxed atmosphere numerous parks and attractive homes make Hobart one of the most enjoyable and engaging of Australia's cities.
Hobart was established in 1804 at the mouth of the Derwent River, one year after Tasmania's first settlement was secured at nearby Risdon Cove. It began as a collection of tents and huts, with a population of 178 convicts, 25 soldiers, 15 women, 21 children, 13 free settlers and 10 civil officers. The colony's location on the Derwent River - one of the world's finest deep water harbours - was a key to its successful development. Hobart Town as it was known until 1881, was proclaimed a city in 1842.
Bellerive is east - across the mouth of the Derwent River- from the wharfs and CBD of Hobart.
In the early times of settlement, Bellerive was known as Kangaroo Point. The first settlement land grant was made in 1807.
Settlement in this part of the eastern river shore, however, was hampered by lack of transport across the Derwent River. With the beginning of ferry services around 1816 a settlement of inns and stores grew up to provide for the travellers, farmers and merchants from outlying farming districts of Clarence Plains, Cambridge, Richmond and Sorell who were on their way to and from the Hobart markets.
Progress was spasmodic but by the 1850's Bellerive had become an important commercial centre and terminus. Bellerive was also a popular holiday resort, acclaimed for its healthy climate and natural beauty. Ferries brought day-trippers over from the western shore to picnic, fish and walk the shore and beaches. Holiday cottages were popular.
By the turn of the century, the community was expanding. Regular and frequent ferry services connected Bellerive with Hobart and more people were choosing to live in Bellerive and commute to the city. But the suburb had to wait many years for essential services- a bridge was built in 1943, a permanent water supply came in 1956 and a sewerage system in 1959. In 1975, following the collision of a large ship with the bridge and the bridge's subsequent collapse, Bellerive was as isolated as it had been in the 1800's.
During the three long years of bridge reconstruction, the development of services and businesses on the eastern shore accelerated, and part of the development included the construction of Tasmania's largest indoor shopping complex.
Today, Bellerive is a special and popular location for the people who live and/or work in this area. A relaxed and pleasant environment, with bushland reserves close by, sandy beaches, the best of modern facilities and only ten minutes from the CBD of Hobart.

 

Click here for -
Return to home page